Weather's Here, Wish You Were Beautiful

 On the Liberty Clipper after climbing to the top of the main mast.
 (My palms still sweating & heart beating out of my chest!)

Traveling solo is interesting... I flew into Nassau about 3:30 pm yesterday. Grabbed a cab to my hotel (the El Greco). My cabbie, Hilton, was nice. Hilton has eight kids and drives 7 days a week (to support them I suppose). He says he has been to every State in the Union, China and Europe. I have to give it to him, he looked way too young to have eight kids ranging in age from 8 to 21! He gave me his card as I asked him all of the usual questions I ask cabbies, bartenders, waitstaff and locals I run into when I'm traveling:You know where all of the strip clubs are and how I can get my hands on some drugs and hookers? ...Just kidding I don't go to strip clubs... (Now come on, no, I'm not being serious about any of it... let it go!)

All kidding aside, the questions I typically ask are:

  1. Where are the good places to go? (Eat, See, Do)
  2. What are the places & things I need to be careful of? 
  3. If you were to only recommend 3 things to do or see, what would they be? 

Most people have been taught to be on alert when they travel. Keep an eye out for someone trying to take advantage, scam or rob you (in some places even kidnap). Maintain good awareness. Don't trust strangers. Have a money belt where you keep most of your valuables (Passport, $$$, etc). Keep track of your luggage. Don't take any wooden nickles and of course have a nice relaxing vacation!

Being that one of the main things I do for a living is teach defensive tactics, I agree with all that and more, however we have to remember to remain balanced between freedom and security. Risk is what lays between and separates the two. As conflict resolution expert Dr. Robert Humphrey said,

"As much freedom as possible with as much security as necessary."

Travel as life is inherently risky, however the rewards can far outweigh the risks, if you know how to assess and minimize your exposure. A lot depends on your risk tolerance, your awareness, your ability to assess and skills to manage that risk.  That's why I train! So I can know what experiences are worth the risk.

Every place you go is different. The look and feel of people and places can vary dramatically. Until you get in tune with where you're at, you don't really know what you're taking in, or exposing yourself to. At first it can all look overwhelming and scary, but if you relax a little and pay attention, you'll start to get a gauge for things.


"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few."

~ Shunryu Suzuki

This quote can be taken in many ways. When you're talking about being safe, you realize that if you let your fears grab a hold of you too tight, it seems as if anything goes and the amount of vulnerability is so high because "anything could happen." However, as you gain experience you begin to see that although there are risks, they are manageable if you have the right approach. 



The Liberty Clipper - a 125' twin mast schooner. 
Home for the next week or so...


As for my first experience of the Bahamas?! I'm still getting the lay of the land, the sea and the people. I haven't gotten used to their cool island accents yet, let alone all of the other factors. It'll take me a little time to get my travelers legs on, so to speak (sea legs too!)... but it's all good!


In the next few posts I will share some of my journey with you, sailing the Caribbean on a 125' sailboat called the Liberty Clipper. Island hopping in the Bahamas, meeting interesting people, seeing and doing things often reserved for dreams (and Jimmy Buffet songs!). 

  

 

"Gonna put the world away for a minute,
Pretend I don't live in it,
Sunshine gonna wash my blues away..."

~Zac Brown Band, "Knee Deep" 





I train to Live, Protect & Inspire... It's a Lifestyle, the Protectors Life, a PeaceWalker's Life!

See you in da'Islands Mon...   ;-) 


Best,
~Craig

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are people from Crete Creteans??

What's Your Rosebud?

A Thanksgiving Thought